Wednesday 27 April 2011

The RSC at 50

Celebrating the Royal Shakespeare Company's 50th anniversary, Hat-trick have teamed up with illustrator Marion Deuchars to create a series of stamps featuring defining scenes from a variety of RSC productions.

"Endeavoring to make my type work at such an intimate scale was an ambitious undertaking and at first I thought impossible. However, I also knew it would create a distinct and engagingly graphic depiction of a very well known subject.

I liked the idea of juxtaposing some very obvious quotes with some less known citations. In the end I tried for an emotive quality between the character from RSC archives and the words, as if they were being sounded out on the stage. 
For example, with the design for King Lear, I wanted the type to be fervent and disturbing, as if it had been scratched out, whereas in Romeo and Juliet I concentrated on it flowing round the figures and being more lyrical and passionate. 



In the end I hope the stamps reflect the amazing work of the RSC and to appeal to the new and old audiences of Shakespeare."




Hat-trick also designed four additional stamps featuring a miniature paper stage set created and built specially by illustrator Rebecca Sutherland and shot by John Ross. The stamps pay homage to the four stages in Stratford – the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, the Swan Theatre, The Courtyard Theatre and The Other Place.


No comments:

Post a Comment